Tuesday November 7, 2017
Its official, Kevin, the humble carrot who stole the nation’s heart last Christmas, returns for more adventures with discount supermarket Aldi. And this year he’s looking for someone special to share Christmas with….
You may have stumbled across him on Happn where he’s been looking for love all weekend. Well the diminutive hero finally finds the carrot of his dreams in the new 60 second TV campaign which airs on Tuesday 7th November at 7.15pm on ITV.
The new campaign has been created by McCann UK following the highly successful debut of Kevin in Christmas 2016 and will run in the UK and Republic of Ireland.
Adam Zavalis, Marketing Director at Aldi UK, said: “Bringing back Kevin was always a compelling option as he’d worked so amazingly well last year. We had our best Christmas on record delivering a 15.1% growth in the UK, with Kevin playing an important part in this success.
“This time around we’re exploring more of Kevin’s character and introducing the love of his life, Katie. Together they’ll explore our most incredible festive range ever, ensuring everyone can get everything they need for Christmas at unbeatably low prices.”
As Aldi’s new 60 second film opens, Kevin is discovered as a snowman’s nose… before being dislodged by the rumbling of an approaching train. Jumping aboard Kevin discovers this isn’t just any train, but a luxurious sleeper complete with dining car, brimming with Aldi’s amazing Christmas feast.
In the distance Kevin spots Katie, and, for him at least, it’s love at first sight. But he must once again brave the dangers facing any intrepid 3-inch adventurer fixed on traversing brimming banquet tables: flying Aldi Veuve Monsigny Champagne Brut corks; precarious artisan cheese towers and a Specially Selected Exquisite Rumburgh Farm whole Turkey.
As well as being the hero of the brand campaign, Kevin and Katie will also be the stars of 14 product oriented sub-campaigns running as 20 and 30 second TV executions as well as being delivered across digital, social, outdoor, press, cinema, radio, door drop and in-store.
Commenting on the new campaign, Dave Price, Executive Creative Director of McCann UK of Aldi said: “It’s wonderful to see the return of Kevin, he’s become his own Christmas tradition. This year’s story has suspense, murder, romance and the most sumptuous food and drink. All in the most dramatic of settings. Kevin’s become a huge star, but he still manages to be down to earth. In fact, he came out of the earth in the first place…”
Golden Globe winner, Jim Broadbent also returns for this heart-warming sequel – narrating the story to the Edward Scissorhands soundtrack.
The sell-out Plush Kevin The Carrot soft toy will also be returning, joined of course by Plush Katie The Carrot. The toys launch in stores from 23rd November for £2.99 in support of Aldi’s charity partner, Teenage Cancer Trust.
Client Company: Aldi UK
Client Name and Job Title: Adam Zavalis, Marketing Director
Creative Agency: McCann UK
Creative Team: Clive Davis and Andy Fenton
Planning Director: Jamie Peate
Senior Account Director: Laura McKinlay
Agency Producer: Lucy Moore
Production Company: Stink Films
Media Planning and Buying Agency: UM Manchester
Notes to editors:
Aldi is the UK’s fifth largest supermarket with over 700 stores and over 29,000 employees.
The company has more than doubled its market share since 2010. In the 12 weeks ended 08/10/2017, Aldi grew sales by 13.4% and has a 6.8% share of the market (Kantar Worldpanel data).
Aldi is attracting hundreds of thousands of new customers every year with its award-winning range of exclusive brands, passing low operating costs on to customers in the form of low prices.
In 2017 Aldi will open over 70 stores. By 2022, Aldi will operate over 1,000 stores.
The company’s current achievements and initiatives include:
- Aldi offers employees the highest starting pay in the sector – at least £8.53 an hour to all employees and more to those in London. This is significantly higher than the Government’s National Living Wage.
- Aldi’s investment in people was recognised at the Grocer Gold Awards, which celebrate outstanding achievement and practice across the grocery sector – Aldi was crowned ‘Employer of the Year’ 2017.
- Aldi has launched a five year partnership with the Teenage Cancer Trust – its fundraising target of £5m will go towards helping the trust to reach out to every young person with cancer in the UK.
- Aldi was named Fresh Produce Supermarket of the Year at the FPC Fresh Awards 2017 and Supermarket of the Year at the 2016 Retail Industry Awards.
- Aldi is the highest ranked supermarket in the Institute of Customer Services’ UK Customer Satisfaction Index 2017.
- Aldi launched its eCommerce platform in January 2016, selling a range of high quality wines and Specialbuys – receiving approximately over 11,000 orders per week.
- Aldi is the official supermarket partner of Team GB, and has extended this commitment to the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
- Aldi is the lowest priced supermarket in the UK and 15.2% cheaper than its nearest competitor (The Grocer 33, published 24th August 2017).
- In 2017, for the fourth consecutive year Aldi was ranked the best-performing supermarket for compliance with the Groceries Supply Code of Practice, underlining its commitment to maintaining fair, predictable and sustainable prices within its supply chain.
- Recent research from the Centre for economics and business research (Cebr) showed that the value of Aldi’s relationships with UK suppliers will increase by £2.2bn during the next five years to £6.7bn in 2022. Additionally, in 2016 Aldi supported 146,000 direct and indirect jobs in the UK and this figure is set to rise to 205,000 by 2022.